4.10.2009

Through Sober Eyes....

..Today I will focus on the sober world I want to enjoy and share. The world of drinking has nothing for me. I may encounter situations involving casual drinking today, but I will not be part of them in mind and spirit. I will think and walk in dry places.

I got this quote sent to me so I don't know where it is from, maybe Walk in Dry Places, anyways, this has always been a tough one for me. I work in an industry that is ALL about drinking. Celebrating when times are good, and just drinking to drown out the bad news in the economy. I used to think that I was not able to do this job without drinking. I know now that was my disease. The more I don't drink at these functions, the more I notice other people not drinking. That is the kicker. I also wonder, and shudder frankly, how bad of a fool I made out of myself. I like this quote, because it helps me to focus on the sober world. Looking at people and places and wondering how to react in recovery and not in insanity. Today there will be situations where there is drinking, but I don't have to see those, I can see sobriety. That makes me grateful.

Today I am grateful for:
  • Sleeping a bit longer this morning.
  • Friday and the promise of a great weekend.
  • Family for Easter
  • The greatest golf tournament ever, The Masters, and that I can watch it in sobriety.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me not to give in
    to situations when everyone else is drinking.
    I am following your blogs and appreciate all
    you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay focused and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete