1.05.2010

Free Will.....or is it?

I am reading an amazing book right now. It is called "Sermon on the Mount" by Emmet Fox. It basically breaks down the Sermon on the Mount by Jesus into "..keys to success in life." There is an interesting thought process that Emmet shares. "All day long the thoughts that occupy your mind, your Secret Place, as Jesus calls it, are moulding your destiny for good or evil; in fact, the truth is that the whole of our life's experience is but the outer expression of our inner thought." He continues with this quote: "We have free will, but our free will lies in our choice of thought."

This simple concept is one that has been lost on me for a long time. The more we think about, or obsess on something, the more likely it is that we will gravitate towards that thought. If I think about drinking 24/7 at some point I am going to pick up the drink. Whatever it is that we think about that is where our actions lie. If we fill our hearts and mind with gratitude and service that is what our life will reflect. I found it amazingly freeing to understand that as long as I direct my thoughts, my actions will follow. Easier said than done, but a great start to a day!

Today I am grateful for:
  • Finally having a bed to sleep on!
  • Being 98% done with our move.
  • My old landlord, who is in the program, who is helping us out when we need it the most.
  • Learning that I don't have to not drink ever again, just today, that is all I have. Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment